Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fat Tuesdays

There was a conversation in our house yesterday that went something like this:

Me: "Oh my gawd, I just figured out that the whole Fat Tuesday celebration is about doing whatever you plan on giving up for Lent alot, because it's the last day you can."
Mardi Gras Day, New Orleans: Krewe of Kosmic D...
Image via Wikipedia

Hubby: "You JUST figured that out?"

Me: "Yes. I guess I never thought about it before."

Hubby: "Wow, your ability to be clueless is astounding."

So the next time I go to a Mardi Gras party I'll know what's going on, finally.

I don't follow a religious tradition that gives stuff up for Lent, but I have my own Fat Tuesdays. Sometimes I have Fat Sundays, Fat Fridays and the occasional Fat Thursday. They occur on the day before a new training plan starts, or I plan some nutritional changes, or I make a promise to myself to spend less time watching Netflix so I'll be more productive. As soon as I make a choice, I feel compelled to watch the remaining episodes of whatever I'm watching, eat all the junk food in the house or take a few days off from working out.

When I plan to start something at the beginning of next month, which is, say, a week and a half away, things can get pretty out of hand. Like Mardi Gras, but with less dancing and more dishes piled in the sink.

I totally get the Fat Tuesday thing now. How about you? Do you have your own Fat Tuesdays? And, if you gave something up for Lent, what was it?

I gotta get me some beads...

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. We have beads aaaaaaaall over our house - hanging on the bedroom doors, the lamps, the fake stuffed bear head. They're a reminder that we don't have to give up nuthin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have beads now, thanks to a dear friend. Now I can pull them out whenever I'm having a Fat Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...