Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Breathe in Moonlight

Taken using full digital zoom on Nikon CoolPix...
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Since we began having new moon circles at the True North Yoga studio, I've been reconnecting to the lunar cycle. I've always noticed the moon in the sky, when it's visible, but I went through a period of not noticing mindfully. Over the past couple of years I'd forgotten how the moon speaks to my spirit and I'm glad to feel it's pull again.

During the last full moon I was guiding a yoga class into deeper breathing when I was struck by how the moon's cycle mirrors the cycle of the breath.

Try this:

Sit comfortably and lengthen your spine. Breathe in and out through your nose. Make each breath a bit deeper, a bit longer, until you are using all of your lungs.

Notice your inhale. Notice how the lungs fill slowly, taking in more and more air until they are full. The inhale is like the waxing moon, growing from a sliver in the sky to an orb.

Pause at the top of your inhale, holding your breath in gently. This pause, with your lungs at their full capacity, is like the full moon hanging in the sky for a night. Savor it's power and sweetness as your body takes in oxygen.

Slowly exhale, noticing the emptying of your lungs. The exhale is like the waning moon, gradually releasing all of it's energy and light as it shrinks to a crescent.

For a brief moment, pause at the bottom of your exhale. Notice the emptiness, like the lack of light in the night sky during the new moon. Be aware that the emptiness is ready to be refilled, and with an inhale begin the cycle again.

At our new moon circles we revel in the emptiness, for the moonless night signifies a readiness to begin. It is the time of potential unmanifest. When the moon is new on March 11, pause for a brief moment and invite in all that you are ready to create in your life.

And when the moon is full, breathe in moonlight and savor the sweetness of your creative power.
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for inspiring me to start walking at night again. I love the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice! I put the date in my planner! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! I didn't realize the new Moon is so soon! Thanks for letting me know--I will be sure to breathe into it, and my potential! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my next seat I will visualize a lunar cycle. LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh.. I am going to try this! I often do a similar breathing exercise but not with the moon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...