Sunday, March 22, 2009

Juggle

I can tell I've been slacking on my personal yoga practice when I get jealous of my students. While I can do the poses along with my students, I can't stop thinking when I'm teaching. My mind is always planning ahead, searching for something to say, and keeping track of which hand is my right hand. This morning, while my students were enjoying a juicy forward fold, I was longing to join them in blissful silence.

I've been trying to find balance between family, work, triathlon training and yoga. While juggling these things, my yoga practice is the ball that most often gets dropped. Between teaching and taking a class now and then, I can maintain the physical aspects of the practice. It is the meditative part that I miss out on. My mind needs the break. Even if it's only 5 minutes a day, I need to put all the balls down and let my thoughts still. After a rest, I think clearly and stay calm. It is easier to keep all the balls in the air. Yet, when I'm busy or tired, it's easy to pass up the 5 minutes, and I quickly get out of the habit.

This week is a training recovery week, the perfect time to schedule a meeting with my yoga mat. 5 minutes a day isn't that much, but it can make a big difference.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing how devoting a short amount of time to something can pay off in spades. get yoga-ing, debbie ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the juggling is the hardest part of doing what we do. Keep pushing to find that balance!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post! I enjoyed it. I agree, even a few minutes doing something like yoga can revive you. Press on!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...