Saturday, March 14, 2009

Last Blast of Winter

Last weekend we went north, searching for the snow that missed New Jersey all winter. We found lots of snow in the Adirondack mountains. I love those mountains. When the first mountain comes into view on our drive up the New York State Thruway, I always feel my breath slow down. I relax. It's like coming home.

Schroon Lake was still frozen, providing nine miles of open space for walking. The dogs loved having room to run, and they did run. And run. And run.

There is nothing better than a two hour romp to burn off excess energy. Afterward the dogs curled up in front of the fire and napped. Some of the people napped, too. It is good to take a break from the usual day-to-day stuff and just slow down.

My daughter and I got to do a few hours of skiing at Gore Mountain, enjoying 45 degree temperatures that kept us warm on the lifts but didn't melt the snow too much. I noticed a big change in my fitness level from last winter. Training has really helped improve my stamina. My leg muscles are stronger and after 4 hours on the slopes I still had energy left. It's nice to see the hard work paying off.

Snowmobiling was the next day's activity. My kids love the snowmobile, and my daughter can drive it now. I'm glad she has the opportunity to practice her driving skills on the trails, since later this year she will be learning to drive a car. (I am really not ready for that.)

There are some great, well-maintained snowmobile trails around Schroon Lake. The local snowmobile club keeps the trails groomed and hosts some fun events, as well as promoting safety. Winters in the Adirondacks are longer than we are used to, so it's nice to know we'll have lots of fun things to do in the snow next winter.

My son really loves to ride on the snowmobile, the faster the better, but he has a long way to go before he can drive. First he has to grow into the helmet!

I kept up my training while we were away, getting in my scheduled long run. I ran faster than my usual pace. There is something about the mountain air that makes my body feel so much better. It's probably the lack of pollution.

We did a bit of house-hunting while we were there. We haven't seen the right house yet, but we have many more to see on our next visit. I also checked out a couple of potential yoga studio sites. With alittle help from the universe, I'll be opening my studio on August 1st. It seems like a long time from now, but with so much to do before we move the time is going to fly by.

Spring is only a week away. The green leaves of the daffodils are visible above the mud and there are buds on the trees. Winter will soon be behind us. The next few months are going to be very busy for us. I'm glad we got one last weekend of winter fun before the craziness starts.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip! Beautiful pics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Beautiful pictures, I really loved reading this. That's awesome that your training has made your downtime that much more enjoyable. Love it, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romping in the snow then curling up in front of the fire ... my god I wish I was a dog ! Lovely photos, especially the last one. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved the dog pictures, beautiful. My husband learned how to drive by first driving a snowmobile around their recreational land. He said it's the best way to learn. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...