Sunday, January 1, 2012

Jumping In, Looking Up and Moving Forward

It's New Year's Day, which means it's time to declare my affirmations for the coming year. But first, I'd like to share a bit of my first day of 2012 with you.

Jumping In

After morning yoga classes, my aunt and I dragged the rest of the family to Lake George, New York, where they kick off the new year with a Polar Bear Plunge. So if you were looking for "jumping in" in the metaphorical sense, as in starting a new project, I'm sorry to disappoint you. My aunt and I literally jumped in - into a not quite frozen lake. The water temperature was 34 degrees, not cold enough to freeze the surface but certainly cold enough to make my first polar bear plunge interesting.

Twenty-four hours ago I wasn't even thinking about the plunge. Then, standing on our town's beach watching First Night fireworks, someone mentioned it. And the idea got stuck in my head. When I dressed for yoga this morning, I put my bathing suit on under my clothes, just in case. Between classes I received a message from my aunt that she wanted to do it, and the next thing I knew we were driving thirty minutes south.
This is me waiting in a very long line to register.

That's me the arrow is pointing to. My aunt is in the turkey hat in front of me.

They gave me a certificate. My husband thinks I'm certifiable.
When I ran into the water it felt like thousands of needles were jabbing me. I was in for maybe 30 seconds, long enough to dive in and get wet up to my shoulders. My aunt and I agreed to try for a full minute next year. (Yes, we're doing it again. I've already got it on my calendar.)

Looking Up

This morning I woke up to find the first prompt for 31 Days of Adventure in my inbox. Today's adventure was about seeing things from a new perspective. It asked me to take a photograph of something familiar from a new angle. Since my husband is the photographer in our family (I don't even have a camera except the one in my cell phone) this assignment was a bit daunting. But not being one to back down from an adventure, I borrowed my husband's camera while we were walking back to the car after the plunge and I snapped this picture of a light pole topped with a lighted snowflake holiday decoration.


Two things struck me in the picture - the blue in the sky, because I hadn't noticed when the sun broke through on what had been a grey day, and how the decoration, which looks so magical when looking at it from the front, appears so mundane when I looked up from underneath. All I could see was what looked like an old-fashioned TV antenna. It's like watching one of those "making of" specials about a movie I loved. I may never look at those holiday lights the same way - until next year, when a spectacular display again takes my breath away.

Moving Forward

And now it's time to create 2012. As I said last year, resolutions are for sissies. I make affirmations. I create a vision for the year and state it as if the vision already existed. So, here are the affirmations that I'm offering the universe to shape the new year:

I am crazily creative.

I help others create a healthy lifestyle through teaching yoga and personal training.

My yoga practice is part of every day.

I am strong, healthy and fast.

My routines make space for my creative spirit to shine.

I surround myself with members of my tribe.

I feed my need for adventure by getting outdoors often.

I live joyfully and blissfully.

I am divinely unique.


Some are new. Some have been my affirmations for years. Each has an important place in the manifestation of my new year.

I wish you a new year filled with peace, love and joy.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...