Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Head Cold, an Adventure Story, Some Envy and Yoga #365Yoga

Freya Hoffmeister
Freya Hoffmeister (Photo credit: eriksjos)
I tried to ignore my second head cold in less than a month, but couldn't really deny the heaviness in my head and finally slid back under the covers for an afternoon of napping and reading. My bedside book pile consists of books about yoga and books about adventure, most of the latter being monthly reads of the Women's Adventure Magazine Book Club group on Facebook, in which I lurk for the reading suggestions. I passed up the heavy-thinking-required yoga reading and picked up Fearless by Joe Glickman, the story of Freya Hoffmeister's record-setting circumnavigation of Australia in a sea kayak.

Freya's year-long paddle included encounters with sharks, crocodiles and stinging jellyfish, crazy currents and surf, fatigue, seasickness and unpleasant rashes. It was an impressive journey by a woman who never doubted she would be able to complete it. While I admired her tenacity, I had trouble, and I believe the author did too, with Freya's lack of humility. But, when it comes to people who have both the physical strength to accomplish amazing feats and the organizational skills to make them happen, I tend towards a bit of un-yogini-like envy.

My adventurous heart tends to reach further than my body wants to go. When I announced my latest battle with germs on Facebook, one of my friends was quick to comment, "Why are you always sick?!? Between your diet and physical exercise, you should be the healthiest person on Charley Hill!!" That, unfortunately, has been my life-long question and one that, despite years of work towards wellness, remains unanswered. What makes me so susceptible to upper-respiratory-system-attacking viruses is a mystery. So is the extreme fatigue and depression that comes every time I ramp up my physical activity beyond "easy," which, while allowing me to build endurance, means I will never run as fast as I'd like to, or faster than a turtle.

During her year of extreme kayaking, Freya Hoffmeister never had to spend a few days in her tent on the beach nursing a head cold. It's possible that the author decided not to mention it, but I find it hard to believe he would leave out an illness when he was so careful to mention every time she puked from seasickness and how she managed bowel movements without leaving her boat. While my heart longs for an adventure as amazing as Freya's (although I'd be happy without the crocodiles), I have to resign myself to knowing my body my may never be up for it.

So what do I do? I get back on my yoga mat. It was yoga that taught me to accept my body as it is. It was my asana practice that got me to the place where I could start running and not stop for 13.1 miles, which is pretty darn good even if I never break out of the back of the pack. It is yoga that reminds me to rest when I need to, that it's okay to drop into Balasana or take a nap. And it's yoga that pulls the rug out from under my ego and shows me the way to be humble and grateful.

Perhaps I will have to experience the grandest of adventures in the pages of a book, and perhaps my practice includes sitting with the envy I feel on the way to self-acceptance. Perhaps that inner exploration is the greatest adventure of all.
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. Oh man I hear you! I'm not sure what it is about this year, but I am also sicker than I have been. I have turned to lots of Sukhasana and breathing as my yoga... and when I feel better strong flows.

    Listening to your body as always is the way to go and it sounds like you are doing a great job with that. get better soon and if you figure out how to stay cold free call me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand - I hear about the "conquering the world" adventures people and think thats amazing, but know that I'll be happy just going on a nice trip, or figuring out how to do a hard-for-me yoga pose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a windy wonderful path to self acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being unwell can show us all kinds of stuff, but particularly, (for me anyway) it is humility that shines forth. A 'healthy' dose of humility (ironically) can be so healing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Balasana...my Yoga saviour, stressful day at the office saviour, after my long run of the week saviour...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...