Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fall Color

"Autumn is the eternal corrective. It is ripeness and color and a time of maturity; but it is also breadth, and depth, and distance.  What man can stand with autumn on a hilltop and fail to see the span of his world and the meaning of the rolling hills that reach to the far horizon?"
-   Hal Borland

Although the fall equinox is still a few days away (Saturday, September 22nd), the Adirondack trees have already started showing golds and reds. Sunny days are still warm, but mornings and evenings are cool. As one of my yoga students pointed out, it's almost wool sock time.

This is my last message of 2012 to the "summers only" crowd. It seems every day in September I have said "good-bye" to someone heading south, or west, for the colder months. This is also the last message before I close the studio for a week's vacation.

This break marks not the end of something, but the beginning. Fall and winter are going to be happily busy at True North Yoga. We'll celebrate the reopening on the studio on September 29th with a drumming circle to honor the earth under the Harvest Moon. Advanced Yoga Studies, our 200-hour advanced practice and teacher training program, is set to begin on October 13th with a wonderful group of students. I am in the process of setting up a number of winter workshops for self-exploration. And, of course, all of our yoga classes continue year-round for those who stay and brave the snow.

I see fall as a time to regroup and reconnect. While I'm on vacation I will be visiting old friends and family and unrolling my yoga mat on a familiar floor that hasn't seen me for over three years. It's quite possible I'll be coming home with a new hair style. Maybe, like the leaves, I'll change my hair color. There's no better way to honor the new season than to fully embrace the change.

I'm looking forward to time off, and to returning, refreshed and ready for autumn. For those who will be joining me in classes in the months to come I have two words:  wool socks.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...