Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Bit About Me

I promised there would be more!

I guess I should start by clarifying something. I am not, presently, in the Adirondacks. Instead I am in central New Jersey. I believe strongly in the power of intention, however, so the title of my blog is my message to the universe. I am ready to go. 2009 is the year we leave the traffic and the stress and the Jones we have no hope of keeping up with, and head north.

My favorite place in the world, or as much as I have seen of it, is a little town called Schroon Lake in upstate New York. Yes, it's a dumb name for a lake. It is a misspelling of an equally dumb name given to the lake by French settlers a couple hundred years ago, but what can we do? The name stuck. Schroon Lake is a very small town, of the "don't blink or you'll miss it" variety. There is one traffic light, at the north end of town, but it only blinks red so drivers don't miss the stop sign. This little town needs a yoga studio.

I know Schroon Lake needs a yoga studio because I taught classes there while I was on vacation last summer, and everyone who attended has been begging for me to come back. My parents live in town, and I get weekly email updates from my mother about how many people have asked when I am coming there full time. My answer is "soon".

Yoga has been the catalyst for many changes in my life. I have turned to yoga whenever life gets tough. It has always seen me through. Inspiration often comes on the mat. When I started teacher training, I only planned to use it to enhance my own practice. The first time I got in front of a class, I realized that sharing the wonderful gift of yoga was better than anything else I had done. Now I teach as often as I can, trying to balance teaching hours with a full-time (and yucky!) job. Part one of my 2009 dream is to open a small yoga studio and make teaching my full-time job.

Part two of the 2009 dream is to complete one, or hopefully two, triathlons. This part of the dream is alittle crazy. A few months ago, I woke up one morning and said, "hey, I think I want to do a triathlon." It does happen like that sometimes. I picked a race in June, in the Adirondacks, to keep with the theme, and started training. Other than yoga, I haven't done anything athletic for years, so I was really starting from scratch. Now I can run 20 minutes without taking walk breaks and ride my bike for an hour (on a trainer in the bedroom - it's cold outside). I start my swim training in February. I can swim, and practiced with my daughter in November when she was trying out for her high school's swim team, so my training will be to build up enough endurance to swim the distance.

Last week my husband got laid off. I am taking this as a sign that the universe is listening to me, and the next job he finds will be commuting distance from Schroon Lake. For now, he is spending his days at home working on the house, getting it ready to go on the market. My mom's weekly email told me about space for rent next to the new hair salon and spa in town. This is clearly another sign. Everything will fall into place, and, when the kids finish school, we are going north.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...