Saturday, January 31, 2009

Just Breathe

This morning I subbed for the prenatal yoga teacher. I like teaching the prenatal class. The room is filled with creative energy.

Because we are trying to help them through labor, we do some things that you don't see in a typical yoga class. Try this: Hold your arms out shoulder height. Keep holding them there and breathe. Hold the pose for two minutes, focusing on your breath. Unless you've got awesome deltoids, your arms are going to start to ache before the two minutes is up. Can you keep focusing on your breath and ignore the pain?

We do this for two minutes because that's how long a contraction usually lasts. This probably doesn't apply to you (if it does, congratulations!), but maybe we can apply it elsewhere. What else can you breath through? A cramp? Having a cavity filled? A deep tissue massage? A challenge at work? Hearing something hurtful from someone you love?

I needed to breathe today while I was trying to help my son build with Legos. My job was sorting through the tub full of sharp-edged pieces looking for tiny, oddly-shaped helicopter parts invented by sadistic parent-haters. Tristan got bored with the helicopter less than five minutes after it was finished. Ahhhh, just breathe.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Deb,
    I am an Elite triathlete, and Coach as well as an ex NYC photographer..looking to find like minded pals and a place to train as well as some races in the adirondacs...this spring/summer.(I am a coach)and can def help out if your interrested, or have a group that may want to do a weekend clinic or some sort of training deal.:)
    just networking lol.
    here is my site link. I'd def love to find some races up there also.
    if youd like , my e-mail is danieljs111@aol.com
    best to you.!
    Daniel Smith
    My Links;
    My Photography work; http://theshotspot.com/profile/view/2292
    and also-
    My blog site; http://danieljs111.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool to teach prenatal yoga! I need to breathe through some long days in courts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so interesting. I love that yoga can be such a part of who you are that you can translate it into other areas of your life to cope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I go through my day deep breathing. I think when you have kids, it's a skill that you can't live without!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...