Saturday, January 22, 2011

Playtime with Paint

With all the things I try to fit into my life, playtime usually gets left off the schedule. Time to play never seemed like a priority. But the Inside Out e-course gives homework, and the homework feels an awful lot like play.

After the first week, my visual journal has fewer blank pages. My favorite journal project was putting paint on pages, using any method I wanted. My friend, Anne, gave me some acrylic paints to use - lots of gorgeous, bright colors. I didn't use any brushes. The paint went on with the edge of a piece of cardboard,


a sheet of plastic wrap



and some yarn.


I had fun creating my painted pages. Since I have never painted, I got to approach the project with a beginner's mind, free of any expectations. That attitude makes yoga fun, too. Sometimes I take my practice too seriously and care too much about what asanas I can do and, worse, which asanas I can't do.

Looking at the splashes and streaks of color, I'm reminded that what I can't do is just an opportunity to try something new. I feel very satisfied with the results of my painting play. It makes me smile.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. "I'm reminded that what I can't do is just an opportunity to try something new"
    NICE! And, I really like your paintings! I think I might play with some paint tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying the different textures that you created! I find that in my quest to be painterly I often lose this sort of spontaneous mark making. I have to admit though, I cheat right now and "borrow" my daughters paintings to work with and draw on. Eventually they're going to be too old for finger painting and then I'm going to have to relearn how to do it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I love every vibrant one of these. I really enjoy knowing they were all done without brushes. There can be something more organic about not using brushes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...