Wednesday, January 2, 2013

An old year, a new year and a little presence #365yoga

My husband made me this
groovy incense burner from
a wine bottle. Who wants one?
The Winter Solstice/Christmas/New Year's frenzy is finally over and life can return to it's usual chaos. The past few weeks have been an emotional roller coaster, but I took my own advice and, thanks to time on my yoga mat, made it through. I may not be the same person I was on the first of December, but I'm still here.

And so are you. That's awesome! Now we get to move on.

I recycled my 2012 calendar yesterday. That was somewhat satisfying, especially after the way the year came to a close. The Mayans may not have made a calendar for 2013, but the National Audubon Society did. It's pretty, and has a picture of an eagle on January's page. (Garudasana, anyone?)

Speaking of groovy, when he's
not in the woodshop, my husband
takes some funky pictures, like
this one of our town's New
Year's Eve fireworks.
During a few quiet moments last week, I sat down and gave thought to what I want to do with this new year. I'm not fond of resolutions so, as in years past, I wrote affirmations based on my goals. Affirmations are written in the present tense, as if they are already happening, so instead of something to strive for, I give myself a way of being. It's about the present moment because it's really the only one that matters.

So, with a little presence, here are my 2013 affirmations:
  1. My daily asana and meditation practice sustains me. It really does. It gets me through tough times and allows me to find peace even when it seems like the rest of the world is losing it. And maybe this will be the year that I finally balance a handstand off the wall.
  2. My whole family benefits from healthy food prepared with love. I have been making changes already, but this year I am committing to preparing as much healthy, clean food as I can. By planning ahead, I won't be running into the store for a box of frozen preservatives and fillers every day. The food I prepare will support our wellness goals, as well as my training goals. And I'll definitely be incorporating Isagenix into my meal planning, because I can't start the morning without a shake.
  3. I am fit, strong and fast. Well, faster than I was in 2012, anyway. My plan for 2013 is to run two half-marathons, then tackle my first full marathon in September. Since swim training can't happen without a pool, I'm stepping away from triathlons this year but hope to participate in my first duathlon in the fall.
  4. I am an excellent yoga teacher. Yes, I set the bar high. I've got two big continuing education programs on the calendar this year. And I plan to get a recharge at Wanderlust VT in June, no matter what it takes to get there.
  5. Hiking weekly grounds me. And lifts me up. And keeps me sane. And gives me lots of time with my boy. We're strapping on our snowshoes this winter so we don't have to stop.
  6. My passion benefits people in my community and the environment. I'm spending some time in Albany this year and I'm taking my "Don't frack up New York's farms" sign with me. Yes, I can change the world.
  7. I pursue the activities that make me happy. Climbing, hooping, banging on my bongos, bellydancing, skiing, slacklining...
  8. My home is calm and inviting. And my basement is free of clutter. By the thirtieth of June. Really.
  9. I read voraciously. Because I have a pile of good books sitting next to my bed.
  10. By knitting and crafting all year long, I give meaningful, hand-crafted gifts. This is the affirmation that will help me finish the list of gifts I was supposed to make in 2012. If you were supposed to get one and didn't because it wasn't finished, I promise it will be worth the wait.
  11. I create abundance in my life. It doesn't look like Congress is going to do anything useful, so I'm taking matters into my own hands.
  12. My yoga studio is self-sustaining and growing. Thanks to a whole bunch of wonderful people who contribute in so many ways.
Okay, I'm ready for you, 2013!

I started off the new year with a dip
in Lake George.
New Year's Polar Bear Plunge 2013

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Debbie, you are a wonderful, lovely empowered female! You're becoming all you were meant to be! Happy New Year! Love, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great, so joyous and so many of these are on my list too! Here's to hoping to make it to Wanderlust! xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...