Saturday, February 14, 2009

Fine.

This morning I was texting with my teenage daughter. She asked to do something. I said no. The next text from her said "fine".

At dinner tonight we were discussing how difficult it is to text the word "fine" and convey the correct meaning. Sometimes "fine" means "okay, that's perfect," and other times "fine" means exactly the opposite. Think of a teenager saying "fine". It gets dragged out, with an underlying sigh, and really means "that is NOT fine, but since I don't seem to have a choice I'll go along with you and do my best to make you miserable the rest of the day because you are forcing me to do something I don't want to do."

There ought to be some way to put "fine" in a text message to let people know when what you really mean is "I despise you and the choice you made." Perhaps it should be all in caps. FINE. Or with extra periods at the end. Fine.....

Or perhaps just knowing it is coming from a teenager is enough.

2 comments:

  1. oh teenagers! I still don't know why my parents kept me in the house from age 11 to 16 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINE!! -maybe would be the ugly version. Yeah, I see your point about conveying the 'right' message. Emails and texting can never convey tone. What to do about that? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...