Monday, February 16, 2009

Never Trust a Groundhog

Earlier this month some poor groundhog got dragged out of bed and paraded around before a gaggle of television cameramen. A silly man in a top hat declared that the confused-looking creature had seen his shadow and, therefore, we were destined to suffer through six more weeks of winter. Now, I'm pretty sure that with all those halogen lights pointed at him from every direction there is no way that groundhog could see his shadow, or anything else for that matter. I think top hat guy was trying to pull our fuzzy wool hats with ear flaps over our eyes. Winter is going away, fast. I have evidence.

The first sign of early spring came two days after our last snowfall, and a day after we finished shoveling the accumulated snow. From the depths of the garage came the distinctive rumble of the snow blower. After messing with the engine all winter, my husband finally got it started. This all but guarantees that there will be no more snow this winter.

Last week our lizard woke up early. Those of you who are familiar with the burmation habits of bearded dragons will recognize her early rising as a clear sign that spring is coming. For those of you who have never watched a lizard sleep for six straight months, trust me that being greeted by an open-eyed lizard two weeks ahead of schedule is a very pleasant surprise. (Check out her picture. Note the open eyes. Also, note my hand, which would have had lots of tiny little teeth marks in it if I had tried to pick her up while she was still sleeping. Never wake a sleeping dragon, no matter how big it is.) We were totally unprepared for her to crawl out from under her log (she sleeps under a log - really!) and had to make an emergency trip to PetSmart for food and a new full-spectrum UV bulb for her enclosure. She is glaring at me through the glass of the enclosure right now. I think she knows I'm talking about her. Either that, or she's just realized she missed Christmas, again.

When my daughter made the high school swim team, we had to cancel our Christmas vacation plans to head north because she had practices every day. As a result, there has been no skiing for me this year, yet. Swim season is almost over and we've scheduled the first weekend in March to drive up to the lake, see my parents, and hit the slopes for an afternoon. It had been so cold and snowy up there this winter that we were sure there would still be snow when we got there. So what happens? Last week the temperatures went into the 40s and the snow melted. Winter is over.

4 comments:

  1. I really (really really) want to trust your lizard over that stupid groundhog.

    During the rest of the year, Phil lives in the town library with his "wife" Phyllis. A select group, called the Inner Circle, takes care of Phil year-round and also plan the annual ceremony.

    He's a fruad! He doesn't even live in that little hole !

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. You are so funny! Very well-written.

    I have a reptile confession to make since you brought it up: We have a Ball Python. Well, my step-son has a Ball Python.

    I promise it's the easiest animal to care for as he's so easily mollified. Give him 2 live mice once a month, keep his water filled, change his bedding every now and then and he's good to go.

    OK, I just lost some friends by confessing this, didn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to really fear snakes. Then I got the opportunity to hold a milk snake and I was able to get past the fear. Now snakes and I are okay with each other, as long as I don't have to feed them. I think it's cool that you have a snake in the house. No friends lost here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! (saw you on BT)

    Also, I love the Krishna Das Pilgrim Heart album - he brings such a joyful spirit to the music.

    As you are trying to get into triathlons... I am trying to put more focus on my yoga practice... But have perhaps been over-doing it, but I've been experiencing some knee pain in the last couple of days. So I'm taking the rest of this week off :)

    Hope ya'll get some sun and warmth up there soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...