Friday, December 2, 2011

December 2 - Sangha (Tribe)

The Adirondack Mountains
Where have you discovered community in 2011? What are the defining characteristics and essential qualities of your tribe?




One thing I have always trusted is that my tribe will find me. Even in a small town in the Adirondacks, which in the off season seems to be dominated by camouflage-wearing conservatives, they found me.

My tribe is an open-minded bunch. They like to spend time outdoors. They plant vegetable gardens and watch the wildlife feast on their hard work without (too much) resentment. They eat mindfully, preparing food that tastes good without compromising their health. They don't look at me funny when I say I'm a vegetarian.

My tribe likes to laugh and finds the humor in what can be a difficult life. Many, like me, had taken a risk to live here, leaving behind steady paychecks, gigantic food stores and Barnes and Nobel for homes in the mountains. They are strong people who decided what they wanted out of life and went for it, even though it wasn't what the television was telling them they ought to want. Some don't have television now.

My tribe is creative. They are writers and artists and crafters and musicians. Most create for themselves, or to give, although some are making a living by selling their work. Even those who sell their wares continue to create because they love to do it.

My tribe is full of healers. Some, the bodyworkers, life coaches and yoga teachers, heal others. Others have practices to heal themselves. They are self-aware and continually exploring new paths to holistic wellness.

Throughout 2011 my tribe has been finding me. They found me at monthly potluck dinners with a great bunch of people, when I attended or volunteered at various events and through some local organizations. I also have an online community through blogging, Facebook and Twitter. (I even got to meet some of them in person at Wanderlust last June.)

One part of my tribe that had been missing was triathletes and runners. This year both found me and I have some people who give me support and encouragement (and a bit of friendly competition).

To be honest, I didn't have to do much looking to find community. Most of the newcomers to my tribe knew where to find me. They just had to walk in the door of my yoga studio.
Would you like to participate in reverb11? Find the prompts at Yoga Freedom.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...